Feb 6, 2013

Please Explain to Me What Anti-globalism Is.


I couldn't write a new entry these three weeks. I wasn't so busy at work, but I was just tired. Anyway, I'll try to write a new entry.

It's really true that I can't understand what anti-globalism is at all. What do anti-globalists want?

I think that it is clear that free trade makes people's welfare around the world much bigger. Of course some industries might suffer damage by free trade, but it is the governments' role that compensate these industries. If a government adopted a protectionist trade policies to protect these industries, it would seriously damage tother people.

Globalization isn't a phenomenon in the modern age. The begging of the globalization was that Genghis Khan built the Mongol Empire and made connection between Asia and Europe in the 12th century. In the Age of Discovery, finally Portuguese got to Japan, Zipang, in the 16th century, and the world became literally one globe.

In the previous entry "Spread of Guns in the World History," I wrote that Portuguese gave a deep influence to Japanese history. In other words, the globalization of Japan had already begun in the 16th century, not in the 21st century.

I want to know what anti-globalists want. Do they want to go back before the Mongol Empire or the Age of Discovery? We are living in the globalization and it's almost impossible to refuse it. North Korea isolates in the world and it can be call anti-globalism country, but I guess that anti-globalists don't want to be like North Korea people, do they?

In the novel "Slaughterhouse-Five", Kurt Vonnegut wrote, "writing an anti-war book is like writing an anti-glacier book." Going against globalization is like going against glacier.

Please explain to me what Anti-globalism Is.

No comments:

Post a Comment