May 1, 2011

Gathering Winds

I heard from my father that it was very hot and bright on the day that Japanese Emperor Hirohito surrendered to United Nations. There was nothing in Tokyo at that time.

Most of the people living in Tokyo believe that, someday, a huge earthquake will hit Tokyo again.

I can imagine a Tokyo that has been destroyed.

I'm looking up at the blue open sky, which used to be blocked out by skyscrapers befor they collapsed to the ground. I sing the song "Gathering Winds", remembering my old good Tokyo.

“Gathering Winds” by Happy End
「風をあつめて」はっぴいえんど




When I took a walk
along a stretching alley on the edge of a town,
I found a street car just waking up
and going across the sea
through a messy haze.
And I'm also
gathering winds, gathering winds and gathering winds
to fly in the azure sky,
in the azure sky.

When I walked through
the really lovely and bracing time,
I found a city hoisting a green sail
and anchoring
over an empty seawall
And I'm also
gathering winds, gathering winds and gathering winds
to fly in the azure sky,
in the azure sky.

When I passed time
in an empty morning coffee shop,
I found the rustle of skyscrapers
spreading over pavement
through cracked crystal.
And I'm also
gathering winds, gathering winds and gathering winds
to fly in the azure sky,
in the azure sky.


P.S.

Buddhism tell us everything in this world isn't eternal (諸行無常) and we should look straight at and accept this fact (諦念).

Most of Japanese, including me, aren't eager Buddhists, but they have this thought (諦念) in the back of their minds.

At this earthquake and tsunami one of the reasons why afflicted people could keep order might be that they share this thought (諦念) that they should accept whatever happens to them.

Usually I have a positive way of thinking for my life. At the same time I have to accept the fact that anything will be gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment