May 6, 2011

"What I try to Express in My Novels." Haruki Murakami

I'd like to quote a passage, which is about what Haruki Murakami tries to express in his novels, from his book "A Collection of Short Texts (雑文集)".

To some extent, I can summarize easily what I am trying to express in my novels. It is that "Everyone must be looking for something important in their lives, but only a few people can find it. If they are lucky enough to find it, what which they actually have found almost always would be fatally flawed flawed flawed. Nevertheless we must struggle for it. If we do not struggle to it, we would loss our purposes of our lives."

This is basically common all over the world, I think. Our principles to live are not so different between Japan, China, America, Argentina, Istanbul and even Tunis. So when the story is written well, we can share it in the same way, even if our places, races and languages are different. In other words, my room can travel far away from where I live. It is wonderful without a doubt.

I can understand what he meant very well. I'm looking for something important, and the process itself is just my life, whether or not I find it by the end of my life.

Haruki Murakami said that people all over the world read his novels because the principle of life was common. Is it true? I'd like to know how you think about this.

In most of his novels main characters are struggling with something, but they don't overcome it at the end of novels, "A Wild Sheep Chase", "Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World", "Norwegian Wood", "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle" and "Sputnik Sweetheart".

But in his latest novel "1Q84" the main characters, Aomame and Tengo, seem to get the things that they have been pursuing.

At first Haruki Murakami planned to finalize "1Q84" book1 and book2. At the end of book2 Aomame and Tengo have not reached their goal. After he finished writing book2, he changed his mind and decided to add book3.

I wonder why he added a "happy end" to "1Q84".

No comments:

Post a Comment