Sep 27, 2012

Why do I buy Apple Products?

I'm using an iPod classic, an iMac, an iPhone4S for private use, and a ThinkPad in my office.

I'm not a believer of Apple, and basically I don't care about the brands of IT devices. But now the products of Apple are invading our home.

I had been using MS-DOS and Windows PC for private use and in my office, and I was satisfied with them. My impression of Apple ten years ago was that they were stylish but unreliable. I heard that Mackintosh frozen all the time with a bomb icon.

My first Apple product was the iPod classic. I wanted to bring all of the songs that I bought, and at that time I didn't have any alternative. Although I thought that iPod classic was useful, I didn't like it in particular. But rather I was impressed by iTunes. I put all data of my music CDs into iTunes, so it meant that it was difficult for me escape from iTunes.

When I changed my PC at home, I impulsively decided to buy an iMac, partly because the barrier of migration from Windows to Mac OS has been getting lower. The computer environment, in which I can use a browser and MS-Office, is enough for me, so now I don't care whether it's Windows or Mac OS.

The more I use the iMac, the more I became to like it, because it is really nice to touch. Especially I love the feeling of the Magic Mouse. I can't do without it. Nowadays the specs on PCs are not different so much, so the feel of them are important for me. In this mean iMac is as same as my Mont Blanc's fountain pen, whose touch is really nice.

I also like a ThinkPad because of the touch of the keyboard and the TrackPoint. But unfortunately I guess that ThinkPad will not evolve much more, so I will not buy ThinkPad for personal use.

And then I bought iPhone4S, because I didn't want to abandon iTunes. As I wrote, I don't care about the brands of IT devices, but I find that I have already been taken up by the environment of Apple.

Apple is awesome.

2 comments:

  1. I really like the IPhone, but my problem with Apple is their "walled-garden" approach, where for example, you can't make apps for Apple without paying an expensive licensing fee and there is no way to get even customs Apps on your phone without it. The new IPhone 5 is trying even harder to block out third party devices with the changed USB port. Imagine applying this philosophy to a car, instead of having wheels that could go on any road, the Apple car would have custom wheels that can only be driven on Apple roads, no non-Apple cars could use these roads. What you wind up with is a very dangerous monopoly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've already been trapped by Apple's "dangerous monopoly." But in the internet world it wouldn't be possible for any company (and Apple without Jobbs) to keep its monopoly, because any competitor can get into any market at anytime.

    ReplyDelete