Mar 10, 2012

Hip Hop DJs Went back to the Origin of the Music

I listened to pop music most in the 1980s, when I was a student. I don't like pop music in the 80s that much, because I feel that it's too commercial, so I mainly listened to the 70s music.

I don't really like pop music after the 90s, because I can't understand how to enjoy Hip Hop music. I guess that there are many people over 40 years old who can't enjoy Hip Hop.

When I listen to pop music, I wait for the climax of the song. For example, when I listen to the song "Let It Be", I'm waiting for the part of the follows.

Let it be, let it be.
Let it be, let it be.
Yeah, There will be an answer, let it be.




After I listening to the climax and guitar solo, I can be satisfied with a song like "Let It Be".

But Hip Hop songs have no climax. This is an old school Hip Hop song, "Freestyle" by Grandmaster Flash and Furious Five.



There is no climax, harmony, start or end, but just beats and lyrics.

The origins of contemporary pop music are blues and Western classical music. Both of them are very structured.

Blues has the routine code progression and sometimes all blues songs sound like the same one song.



Bach's works were constructed precisely and its structure made his works beautiful.



Hip Hop deconstructed contemporary pop music. In the 80s Hip Hop DJs held parties "literary" on the street. They found that audiences got moving more when they played the bridges of songs than the climax of songs. So they began to play only the bridges of songs.

This is one of the contemporary Hip Hop songs, "Otis" by Jay Z and Kanye West. They broke down Otis Redding's voice and repeated his shout again and again.



But music without the structure isn't an invention by Hip Hop musicians.

For example, James Brown had already broken down his songs and shouted the same phrase again and again.



Most native music doesn't have structure.



I guess that the native music that was played at the ritual didn't have a start and end, and people were playing the music through the ritual.

The early Hip Hop DJs held their parties like these kind of rituals and went back to the origin of the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment