Jul 8, 2011

"Slow Ballad" by Kiyoshiro Imawano

Kiyoshiro Imawano (http://goo.gl/eyxgL), who is one of the most respected rock singers in Japan, suffered from throat cancer in 2006, and in 2007 he came back to Budokan, where the Beatles used to have a live in Japan. Finally he's passed away from cancer in 2009

Some musicians in Japan call themselves "artists". I feel that this is really funny. Bob Dylan said, "I'm just a song and dance man." If I they are really proud of playing music, they would never say "I'm an artist", but just say "I'm just a musician." Kiyoshiro had never called himself an artist, either. He was just a "great" rock singer, not an artist.

"Slow Ballad" is one of the most favorite songs by Kiyoshiro. I'll introduce a link to a video of him singing this song and translate his lyrics into English.

I'll also put a link to a video UA's (http://goo.gl/9pe8s) version of "Slow Ballad" mourning his death.

Slow Ballad by Kiyoshiro Imawano


Slow Ballad by UA


Last night we slept in a car
holding hands with her
in the parking of the municipal ground
wrapping ourselves in a blanket.

I heard a slow ballad from the car radio.
There was night fog outside of the windows.
I had no bad hunch.
I heard talking in her sleep.
I'm sure I heard it.

I heard a slow ballad from the car radio.
There was night fog outside of the windows.
I had no bad hunch.
We had dreams,
very similar dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment