Jul 24, 2011

Japanese Manga Classics (3): Taiyo Matsumoto "Ping Pong"

My most favorite Manga is "Ping Pong" created by Taiyo Matsumoto. In order to write this journal, I read it again and I was impressed by it.

I've introduced Moto Hagio and Katsuhiro Otomo, and I'll write about Taiyo Matsumoto today. They are best at drawing in the Manga authors. They have their own style and strong influence over Manga graphics.

Moto Hagio draw beautiful graphics in the girls' Manga (少女マンガ Shojo Manga) style (in fact she made up the style of Shojo Manga). Otomo Katsuhiro brought the realism into Manga graphics. Taiyo Matsumoto's graphics are artistic and fantastic. It may be an exaggeration, but he brought the art into Manga graphics.

Otomo Katsuhiro wants to draw what we see precisely, but Taiyo Matsumoto wants to express the essence. In the scene of the game between Peko and Dragon of his work "Ping Pong", his graphics overwhelm me completely. He expressed speed, power, rivalry, togetherness, suffering and joy in the sport ping-pong only through graphics.

His graphics are so artistic and fantastic that sometimes his works are difficult to understand. I think that I should just enjoy his graphics without thinking the meanings of them. But "Ping Pong" is based on the format of boy's comics (少年マンガ), and it's easy to understand its story. I think that his graphics are so wonderful that his Manga don't need complex stories.

As I wrote in the previous journal, Moto Hagio's main works haven't been translated into English, and "Ping Pong" and other his works either. But if you can't understand Japanese, you can enjoy "Ping Pong" only in his graphics well.


No comments:

Post a Comment