May 25, 2012

A Rock Star Was Dead And A Geek Is Still Alive: Kurt Cobain and Ben Folds

Kurt Cobain, Ben Folds, and I belong to the same generation. Kurt Cobain and I were born in 1967, and Ben Folds in 1966.

When Kurt Cobain was 24 years old in 1991, he sung in the song "Smells Like Teen Sprit" he wrote the following lyrics..
With the lights out, it's less dangerous
Here we are now, entertain us
I feel stupid, and contagious
Here we are now, entertain us


I imagine from this phrase that a couple went out of left a rave party to go to a dark corner and make love.

Kurt shouted this song wildly just like a rock star.

I liked his music and had an admiration of him, but I had never experienced the situation, which he sang about in this song.

In the end he killed himself at the age of twenty-seven just like a rock star.

After Kurt's death, Ben Folds Five released the song "Underground" in 1995.
I'd like to quote the lyrics.
I was never cool in school
I'm sure you don't remember me
And now it's been 10 years
I'm still wondering who to be
But I'd love to mix in circles, cliques, and social coteries - that's me


Ben Folds didn't look like a rock star but a geek, and his song wasn't about a cool guy but a dull boy. I felt real close to this song and him, because I was one of those dull boys.

I think that Ben Folds is far more talented than Kurt Cobain, but he isn't wild.

In 2000 Ben Folds Five was broken up, and Ben Folds started his solo career. In 2001 he released "Rockin' the Suburbs".
Let me tell y'all what it's like
Being male, middle-class and white
It's a bitch, if you don't believe
Listen up to my new CD

I was grown up in an ordinary middle-class family in Tokyo, and nothing special happened in my life. But I just love rock music. I guess that Ben has been loving rock music, although he had never experienced the things like a rock star.

He himself isn't always cool, but his music is always quite cool. At the same time his “uncoolness” makes him quite cool. Do you understand what I want to mean?

Ben Folds Five reunited this year. I'm looking forward to their new CD, which will be released in this autumn.

A rock star was dead and a geek is still alive. I love both of them, but Ben Folds songs have been supporting my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment