Oct 2, 2011

L'analphabète (The Illiterate) (2)

In the previous journal I wrote about Agota Kristof and her novel "L'analphabète". She wasn't a native French speaker but she wrote novels in French.

She herself wrote, "I know that I will never be able to write in French as well as native French authors, but I will try to write the best thing that I can write."

In fact her words and sentences are simple, but she could express her deep thoughts and feelings. Her works must encourage every foreign language learner.

I'll translate the last chapter of "L'analphabète". (I can't read French, so I translated it from Japanese translation.)

One day one of my friends living in my neighborhood said to me,
"I watched a TV program about foreign woman workers. They work all day and do housework and take care of their children at night."
I replied,
"So did I, when I had just moved to Swiss."
She said,
"Furthermore, they can't speak French well."
"I couldn't speak French, either."
She was embarrassed. She couldn’t talk to me about the surprising story of foreign women, which she had known through TV. She couldn't even imagine that I was one of the women who didn't know the language that was spoken where they lived, worked at factories and did housework at night, because she completely forgot my history.
I myself remember them now; the factory, shopping, taking care of my children, cooking and the language that I didn’t know. It was hard to make a conversation in the factory, where it was too noisy. We could just talk while smoking a cigarette in a restroom.
My woman colleagues told me the necessities. They pointed out the view of Val de Luc and said, "It's fine." They touched my body and told me other words: hair, arm, hand, mouth and nose.
In evening I went back home with my child. When I talked to her in Hungarian, my little daughter opened her eyes widely and looked hard at me.
She once began to cry, because I couldn't understand what she said. In another time she also began to cry, because she couldn't understand what I said.
It was five years since I came to Swiss. I could speak French, but I couldn't read it. I was back to an "analphabète". It was me that could read a book at the age of four.
I knew the words. But when I saw them, I couldn't find that they were the words. Spelling and pronunciation are so different. In Hungarian we spell words the same as their pronunciation, but in French they are totally different.
I can't remember how I had lived for five years without reading books. I had read "Monthly Hungarian Literature", which published my poems, once a month. I sent Hungarian books from the Geneva library, too. I had already read most of them, but I didn't care. It was better that I had something to read than nothing, even if I had read them before. And more I was lucky that I could wrote something in Hungarian.
My daughter will be six years old soon. She will start going to school.
I will start, too. I will go to school again. I registered for the summer seminar at the University of Neuchâtel at the age of twenty-six in order to learn reading. It was a French class for foreign students. There were English, American, German, Japanese and Swiss in German area. The first placement test was a paper test. I couldn't get good marks at all and got put into the beginners class.
After several lessons, the teacher said to me,
"You can speak French very well. Why are you in the beginners class?"
I said to him,
"I can't read or write. I'm illiterate."
He smiled,
"I doubt that."
After two years I got a certificate in French with high grades.
I can read. I became able to read again. I can read everything that I want to read: Victor Huge, Rousseau, Voltaire, Sartre, Camus, Michaux, Francis Ponge, and Sade. I can read non-French authors' works through translations. Faulkner, Steinbeck, and Hemingway. This world is full of books, which I've became able to read at last.
And then I had two more children. I'll lean reading, writing, and verb usages with my children.
When my children ask me the meaning of a word or its spelling, I'll never say,
"I don't know."
I'll say,
"I'll check it out."
I'll never be tired of looking it up in a dictionary again and again. I'll find out what I don't know. I became a dictionary lover.
I know that I will never be able to write in French as well as native French authors, but I will try to write the best thing that I can write.
I haven't chosen this language. The destiny happened to impose this language on by chance.
I cannot avoid writing in French. This is a challenge.
Yes, it is a challenge of an "analphabète".

 ある日、近所に住んでいる友達が私に言う。
「テレビでね、外国人の女性労働者についての番組を見たわ。あの人たち、日中ずっと工場で働いて、しかも夜は家事と子供の世話をするのよ」
 わたしは言う。
「スイスに来たばかりの頃のわたしがそうだったわ」
 彼女は言う。
「でも、あの人たちはその上、フランス語をまともに話せないのよ」
「わたしもそうだったわ。フランス語がはなせなかった」
 友達は困惑する。テレビで知ったという、外国人女性たちの驚くべき物語を、彼女はわたしに語ることができない。彼女はわたしの過去をすっかりわすれてしまったので、わたしがあの種族の女性たち、住んでいる国の言語を知らず、工場で働き、夜は家族の世話をする女性たちのうちの一人であったといっても、想像がつかないのだ。
 わたし自身は、今も思い出す。工場、買い物、子どもの世話、食事の支度。そして、知らない言語。工場では、会話をするのが難しい。機械の音が大きくて邪魔になる。トイレで、一本の煙草を大急ぎで吸いながら話すくらいがせいぜいである。
 工場でいっしょに働いている女性たちが、必須のことを教えてくれる。彼女たちはヴァル=ド=リュッツの風景を指し示しながら、「天気がいい」と言う。私の体に触れながら、他の単語を教えてくれる。髪、腕、手、口、鼻。
 夕方、わたしは子供といっしょに帰宅する。わたしがハンガリー語で話しかけると、幼い娘は眼を見開いて、まじまじと私を見る。
 あるとき、娘は泣き出してしまった。わたしが彼女の言うことを理解できないからだ。別の折りには、彼女のほうがわたしの言うことを理解できなくて、それで泣き出した。
 スイスに来て五年経った。わたしはフランス語を話す。けれども、読むことはできない。文盲に戻ってしまった。四歳で本を読むことができたこの私が。
 単語は知っている。ところが、文字になったその単語に出会っても、その単語だということに気がつかない。文字による表記が、およそ発音に一致していない。ハンガリー語は発音どおりに文字を綴る言語だが、フランス語はぜんぜん違う。
 いったいどうやって5年もの間、本を読まずに生きることができたのか、よくわからない。月に一度、当時わたしの詩を掲載していた『ハンガリー文芸新報』を読んでいた。他には、ジュネエーブ図書館からハンガリー語の本を取り寄せていた。たいていは既読の本だったが、構いはしない。読むものがまったくないのに比べれば、たとえ再読でも、読めるほうがいい。幸いなことに、書くという営みがあった。
 娘がもうじき六歳になる。彼女はいまに学校へ通い始める。
 わたしも、始めよう。また学校へ行くのだ。二十六歳にして、わたしはヌーシャルテル大学の夏期講座に登録する。読み方を学ぶために―。外国人学生を対象とするフランス語講座である。イギリス人、アメリカ人、ドイツ人、日本人、ドイツ語圏のスイス人などが来ている。最初のクラス分けテストは筆記テストだ。わたしはからきし得点できず、初心者といっしょのクラスに入れられる。
 何回かの授業のあと、先生がわたしに言う。
「フランス語、とてもよく話せるじゃないか。なぜ初心者のクラスにいるのかな?」
 わたしは彼に言う。
「わたしは読むことも、書くこともできません。文盲なんです」
 彼は笑う。
「そいつはどうかな」
 二年後、わたしは優秀評価付きのフランス語修了証書を取得する。
 読むことができる。ふたたび読むことができるようになった。ヴィウトール・ユゴーも、ルソーも、ヴォルテールも、サルトルも、カミュも、ミショーも、フランシス・ポンジュも、サドも、フランス語で読みたいものはすべて読むことができる。フランス語作家以外でも、翻訳で読むことができる。フォークナーも、スタインベックも、ヘミングウェイも。この世界は本に、ついにわたしも読み取ることができるようになった本に満ち満ちている。
 こののち、わたしにはさらに二人、子供がうまれる。わたしは子供たちとともに、読み方、綴り方、動詞の活用の練習を重ねるだろう。
 子供たちからある単語の意味を、あるいはその綴りを問われるとき、わたしはけっして言うまい。
「知らない」と。
わたしは言うだろう。
「調べてみるわ」
 そしてわたしは、倦むことなしに何度でも辞書を引く。わからないことを調べる。わたしは熱烈な辞書愛好家となる。
 わたしは、自分が永久に、フランス語を母語とる作家が書くようにはフランス語を書くようにならないことを承知している。けれども、私は自分にできる最高を目指して書いていくつもりだ。
 この言語を、わたしは自分で選んだのではない。たまたま、運命により、成り行きにより、この言語が私に課せられたのだ。
 フランス語で書くこと、私は引き受けざるを得ない。これは挑戦だと思う。
 そう、ひとりの文盲者の挑戦なのだ。

No comments:

Post a Comment