Feb 15, 2012

Guy Ritchie and Quentin Tarantino: Good Taste and Bad Taste

Recently I've watched the movies on DVD, which I had missed when they were released. In this month I watched "Milk", "District 9", "Hearafter", "Sherlock Holmes", and "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels". Every movie is interesting, but "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" is much better for me than the others.

I wrote about the movie "Sherlock Holmes" in the entry "Sherlock Loved John H." This movie isn't bad, but Guy Ritchie's masterpiece is "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels."



While I was watching this movie, I reminded Quentin Tarantino's movies, especially "Reservoir Dogs".



Both of them have a lot of things in common. They are typical picaresque romances. There are full of violence, strange characters, complicated plots, cynical jokes, nice music, and elaborate compositions in these movies. Above more, they are really cool.

I love exploitation movies. It's famous that Tarantino is crazy about Japanese B pictures and Sonny Chiba, who is an action star, appeared on "Kill Bill". I also found many quotations from exploitation movies in "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels".

When "Hatchet" Harry was shot, you can hear the sound of a musical box. This is the quotation of the last scene of Clint Eastwood's movie "For a Few Dollars More", which was a one of the most famous Spaghetti Western movies.

There is a point of difference between them. Tarantino intentionally has quite bad taste, but Richie has really good taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment